The Dodge Journey, a popular choice among midsize SUV enthusiasts, has certainly seen its ups and downs over the years. With strengths like fuel efficiency and an affordable price point, it’s no surprise that many drivers love this versatile vehicle.
However, not all model years are created equal – some have outperformed others in terms of reliability and customer satisfaction. In this blog post, we’ll dive into the best and worst years for the Dodge Journey to help you make an informed decision when purchasing a best used one.
- Model years 2014 – 2016 are considered the best for the Dodge Journey due to their reliability, positive reviews, and high consumer ratings.
- Dodge Journey years to avoid include 2009, 2010, and 2012 due to brake issues, engine troubles, and interior problems.
- Common complaints about the Dodge Journey include brake issues, engine problems (particularly with V6 engines), and potential transmission failures in some model years.
- Despite its mixed track record over the years, a well – maintained Dodge Journey can still be a reliable midsize SUV option with good value for money compared to other models in its class.
Are fan of Dodge Car Models? Read this articles:
Overview Of The Dodge Journey
The Dodge Journey is a midsize SUV that has been on the market since 2009, featuring seating for up to seven passengers and offering several engine options.
Key Features And Specifications
The Dodge Journey boasts numerous features and specifications that make it stand out among midsize SUVs, appealing to car lovers across the board. Some of these highlights include:
- Available all-wheel drive (AWD) for added traction and stability
- Seating for up to seven passengers with flexible storage options
- Choice between a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine or a more powerful 3.6-liter V6 engine
- A user – friendly Uconnect touchscreen infotainment system, offering connectivity and entertainment options which is why Dodge Journey is a great option.
- Standard safety features such as anti-lock brakes, electronic stability control, and multiple airbags
- Available high – end features like leather upholstery, heated front seats, and rear parking sensors
- Decent fuel efficiency for a midsize SUV, with EPA estimated ratings ranging from 19 mpg city/26 highway depending on the engine choice
Despite its noteworthy attributes, it’s essential to be aware of the Dodge Journey’s best and worst years when considering a used purchase.
Consumer Ratings And Reviews
The Dodge Journey has received mixed reviews from consumers over the years. While some drivers praise its ample space and comfortable ride, others report significant issues with reliability, interior quality, and performance.
According to RepairPal, the Dodge Journey gets a 4.0 out of 5.0 reliability rating, ranking it 6th out of 26 for midsize SUVs – which is considered relatively good. However, certain model years have garnered more complaints than others, particularly the 2009 Dodge Journey which is widely regarded as the worst year due to brake issues, engine problems and interior troubles.
The Best Years Of The Dodge Journey
The top-performing model years of the Dodge Journey are 2014 to 2016, with positive reviews and ratings from consumers.
Top-performing Model Years (2014-2016)
The best Dodge Journey is in the year 2014 to 2016 Journey. During these years, the Dodge Journey is a good and reliable model and Dodge Journey received high ratings for its comfortable ride and spacious interior. Furthermore, during these years, it is the best years to buy Dodge Journey.
One of the highlights of these model years is the fuel efficiency. The 2016 Dodge Journey boasted a fuel economy rating of up to 26 mpg on the highway, making it one of the most efficient midsize SUVs in its class.
Additionally, buyers can choose between a four-cylinder or V6 engine, depending on their preference and driving needs.
Reasons Why They Stand Out
Dodge Journey is a great choice in the year 2014-2016 stands out for a few reasons. Here are some of the key factors that make these models top performers:
- Improved reliability: While the Dodge Journey is not known for its exceptional quality and reliability, the 2014-2016 model years have seen improvements in this area, with fewer reported problems than earlier versions.
- Updated technology: The 2014 update brought some much-needed changes to the Dodge Journey’s technology features, including a new infotainment system and an available rear-seat entertainment system.
- Comfortable ride: With a smooth ride and comfortable seating for up to seven passengers, the Journey is a solid option for families on road trips or daily commutes.
- Good fuel economy: The 2016 model year specifically offers good fuel efficiency for its class, with an estimated 19 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway.
- Positive reviews from consumers and experts alike: When it comes to consumer ratings and reviews, the 2014-2016 Dodge Journeys consistently receive high marks for their spaciousness, versatility, and overall value. Additionally, critics praise these models’ refined handling and improved interior design.
Overall, if you’re considering purchasing a Dodge Journey, opting for one of these best-performing model years may be your best bet.
Positive Reviews And Ratings
The Dodge Journey has received relatively positive reviews and ratings for its top-performing model years, specifically from 2014 to 2016. Drivers have praised the SUV’s spacious cabin, smooth ride, and user-friendly technology features.
The cargo area of the Dodge Journey offers ample space and flexibility with its fold-flat front passenger seat option and front of the vehicle.. In addition, the fuel efficiency of these models is highly rated among midsize SUVs in their class.
The Worst Years Of The Dodge Journey
The worst years of the Dodge Journey include 2009, 2010, and 2012 due to brake issues, engine troubles, and interior problems; but why exactly were these model years problematic? Keep reading to find out.
Common Issues And Complaints
The Dodge Journey has had its fair share of issues and complaints over the years. Here are some common problems include that drivers have reported:
- Brake issues: Many Dodge Journey owners have complained about squeaky, worn-down brakes in the Dodge Journey. Some have even experienced complete brake failure, which can be dangerous.
- Engine problems: The 2009 Dodge Journey and 2012 Dodge Journey model years are known for having engine troubles, such as stalling and jerking during acceleration. In some cases, the engine has completely failed.
- Interior troubles: Some drivers have reported issues with the interior of their Dodge Journeys, including broken seats, faulty electronics, and uncomfortable seating.
- Transmission problems: Several model years of the Dodge Journey (including 2009 and 2010) have had transmission issues. Dodge Journey owners report rough shifting, slipping gears, and even total transmission failure.
- AC and heating malfunctions: Many drivers have reported issues with their Dodge Journey’s HVAC system, including faulty AC compressors and heater cores that fail to produce heat.
While these issues may not be present in every Dodge Journey on the road, they are certainly common enough to be worth considering before making a purchase. It’s always important to do your research before buying a used vehicle to avoid any surprises down the line.
Model Years To Avoid (2009, 2010, 2012)
If you’re in the market for a used Dodge Journey, it’s essential to know which model years to avoid. The 2009 Dodge Journey is widely regarded as the worst year for this model.
In addition to brake issues and engine trouble, interior problems with the Dodge Journey are also common with this year’s model. The following year, 2010, didn’t fare much better either when it came to reliability ratings.
Similarly, while the 2012 model initially received mixed reviews from consumers, many drivers reported significant mechanical issues with their vehicles after just a short period of ownership.
Brake Issues, Engine Troubles, And Interior Problems
The Dodge Journey also has had its share of problems, including brake issues, engine troubles, and interior problems. Here are some details about these common problems:
- Brake Issues: The 2009 model year is known for having brake issues. Many owners report experiencing a soft or spongy brake pedal that doesn’t provide enough stopping power. Some have even had to replace their brakes multiple times due to premature wearing.
- Engine Troubles: Some Dodge Journey models have had problems with their engines. In particular, the 3.6-liter V6 engine has been known to experience timing chain issues that can cause serious damage to the engine if not addressed promptly.
- Interior Problems: While the Dodge Journey’s interior is generally spacious and comfortable, some owners have reported issues with its build quality. There have been complaints of rattling and creaking noises coming from the dashboard and door panels, as well as reports of malfunctioning power windows and other electrical components.
Despite these issues, it’s worth noting that the Dodge Journey has received relatively good reliability ratings overall. While certain model years like 2009 should be avoided if possible, the 2014-2016 models have been consistently ranked as some of the best performers in this midsize SUV category. Ultimately, it’s important to do your research before buying a used Dodge Journey and to factor in potential maintenance costs when calculating your budget.
Is The Dodge Journey A Good Car?
Despite some common problems in certain model years, the Dodge Journey is still a viable option for those looking for the best midsize SUV with decent features and safety ratings.
Pros And Cons Of Owning A Dodge Journey
Owning a Dodge Journey comes with its fair share of advantages and disadvantages. In this section, we will outline the pros and cons of this midsize SUV to help you make an informed decision when considering purchasing a used Dodge Journey.
|Spacious interior with a versatile seating arrangement.
|Some model years have significant issues, such as the 2009 model.
|Affordable pricing compared to other midsize SUVs.
|Subpar fuel efficiency for its class.
|Comes with a 4.0 out of 5.0 reliability rating from RepairPal.
|3.6 engine in certain model years has experienced problems.
|Ranking 6th out of 26 for midsize SUVs in reliability.
|Interior quality and materials may not be up to par with competitors.
|Life expectancy can be decent if the vehicle is well-maintained.
|Overall, the Dodge Journey is not considered an impressive vehicle even in a good year.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Used Dodge Journey
If you’re planning to buy a used Dodge Journey, there are several factors to consider before making your purchase. Here are the list of the best important things to keep in mind:
- Model year: As mentioned earlier, the 2009 and 2010 model years of Journey have been known to have significant problems. So, it’s best to avoid those years and go for newer models instead.
- Reliability: The Dodge Journey is one that has an average reliability rating, so it’s essential to do your research and make sure the specific model you’re interested in has a good track record for reliability.
- Maintenance history: Ask the seller for maintenance records to ensure that the car has been well taken care of and serviced regularly.
- Mileage: The mileage on a used car can affect its lifespan and potential repair costs down the road. Make sure you know how much mileage the Dodge Journey has and whether it’s considered high or low depending on its age.
- Resale value: It’s always helpful to think about the resale value of any car you buy, even if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Check online resources like Kelley Blue Book or Edmunds to get an idea of what your Journey might be worth in a few years.
- Safety features: Finally, make sure the car comes equipped with important safety features like airbags, anti-lock brakes, and stability control systems. Consider looking for models with additional features like backup cameras or blind-spot monitoring for added peace of mind on the road.
Taking these factors into consideration will help ensure that you end up with a reliable, safe, and cost-effective used Dodge Journey that meets your needs as a car lover and those car enthusiasts.
Recommendations For Potential Buyers
If you’re in the market for a midsize SUV and considering a used Dodge Journey, there are some important things to keep in mind. Firstly, it’s crucial to research the reliability of any specific model year before making a purchase.
For instance, while models from 2014-2016 have generally been well-received by consumers and experts alike, the first-ever release of the Journey back in 2009 was considered one of the worst years for this SUV.
Additionally, be sure to thoroughly inspect any used Journey you’re considering purchasing – paying attention to common issues such as brake problems, engine troubles, and interior flaws.
And finally, know that regular maintenance is key when it comes to extending the lifespan of your vehicle.
Related article: Dodge Grand Caravan Best and Worst Years
In conclusion, the Dodge Journey is a midsize SUV that has had both good and bad years. Model years 2014-2016 are considered some of the best because of their strong performance, positive reviews, and high consumer ratings.
On the other hand, model years 2009, 2010, and 2012 have garnered widespread criticism due to potential problems with brake issues, engine troubles, and interior problems.
Despite this mixed track record, the Dodge Journey can still be a reliable car if properly maintained. It’s essential for potential buyers to research each specific model year they are considering carefully.
1. What are the best years for Dodge Journey?
The best years for Dodge Journey were 2011, 2012 and 2013 due to their high reliability ratings, affordable price point and spacious interior. These models also offered advanced features such as a rear-seat entertainment system and a touch-screen infotainment interface.
2. What were the worst years for Dodge Journey?
The worst year for the Dodge Journey that may cause many problems in the car was the 2009 model with numerous issues including engine failure and transmission problems. Thus, Dodge Journey has no two engine options. The model was also prone to electrical problems and electric high-reliability problems related to various sensors leading to expensive repairs across many early production vehicles.
3. Should I consider buying a used Dodge Journey?
It depends on the year of production. If you are considering purchasing a used one from between 2011 Dodge Journey to 2017 Dodge Journey they generally have higher reliability ratings than earlier models which would mean lower maintenance costs over time especially if purchased at an attractive price point. 2017 Journey is the best choice to consider.
4. Is it worth investing in costly repairs for my older Dodge Journeys or should I simply sell it off?
As long as the condition of your Dodge Journey isn’t too poor or has not been involved in any serious accidents that may compromise its integrity it could be worthwhile keeping an older model running provided these vehicles typically offer high mileage but very low operating cost compared similar SUVs found today while maintaining good value at resale making them reliable options even past their warranty period so investing in maintaining this vehicle overtime is worth considering particularly when replacement isn’t budget feasible yet).
|What is the Dodge Journey?
|The Dodge Journey is a crossover SUV manufactured by Dodge, which offers a balance of versatility, affordability, and fuel efficiency.
|What are the best and worst years for the Dodge Journey?
|The best years for the Dodge Journey are generally considered to be the 2010 and 2013 models. On the other hand, the worst Dodge Journey model is usually considered the 2010 model due to some common problems it faced.
|What are some common problems with the Dodge Journey?
|Some common problems that the Dodge Journey has faced include reliability issues, electrical problems, and transmission issues. However, it is important to note that these problems may vary depending on the specific model year.
|Which model year of the Dodge Journey should I avoid?
|It is generally recommended to avoid the 2010 model year of the Dodge Journey due to the aforementioned common problems it faced.
|How is the fuel economy of the Dodge Journey?
|The fuel economy of the Dodge Journey can vary depending on the model year and engine type. However, on average, the Dodge Journey offers a fuel economy of around 25 mpg on the highway.
|Is the 2013 Dodge Journey a good choice?
|Yes, the 2013 Dodge Journey is considered one of the best models due to its improved reliability and overall performance.
|What are the best used years to buy for the Dodge Journey?
|The best used years to buy for the Dodge Journey are typically the 2010 and 2013 models, as they have proven to offer better reliability and performance.
|How is the cabin space in the Dodge Journey?
|The Dodge Journey offers a spacious cabin with comfortable seating for up to seven passengers, making it suitable for family trips and long drives.
|Can you provide a list of the best and worst years for the Dodge Journey?
|The best years for the Dodge Journey include the 2010 and 2013 models, while the worst model year is generally considered to be the 2010 model.
|Is the Dodge Journey a crossover SUV?
|Yes, the Dodge Journey is categorized as a crossover SUV, offering the versatility of an SUV with the efficiency and handling of a car.
John Valdez - Passionate Car Enthusiast and Accomplished Writer
Meet John Valdez, a dedicated car lover and seasoned writer whose passion for automobiles is as vibrant as his words are eloquent. With a keen eye for detail and a heart that beats to the rhythm of engines, John brings a unique blend of expertise and enthusiasm to the world of automotive journalism.